Turmeric Cooking Ideas
- Turmeric is almost always combined with other spices. It is quite bitter in flavour and so only a small amount is needed.
- Turmeric is used in curries and soups to bring a robust well balanced flavour.
- It's flavour develops as it cooks so add it in early in the process.
- It is also used to give a warm yellow colour to your food. Try adding a small amount to sauces, eggs or rice.
- Turmeric makes an excellent and healthy coffee alternative, combined with other spices to make golden milk or turmeric lattes.
- Sri Lankan Carrot curry
- Chickpea, butternut squash and harissa tagine
- Caribbean-style Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry
- Thai Green Curry
- Ingredient Pairings
Turmeric is a bitter spice. It has a floral bitterness with an earthy character. Turmeric's bitterness means it pairs well with vegetables like cauliflower and root vegetables like potatoes, carrots and sweet potatoes. Turmeric imparts a bright colour to coconut milk in curry sauces.
- Spice Pairings
Turmeric is commonly blended with other spices in curry powders. These can include coriander, cloves, cumin, curry leaves and more. It's bitterness helps to balance the pungency and sweetness of other spices.
Click here for turmeric ingredient profile and more flavour information.