Chickpea, butternut squash & harissa tagine
One pot wonder, vegetable tagine. Once all the preparation work is done, pop in the oven and cook for 45 mins before serving.
Difficulty level: 2/5
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Recipe serves 2 people
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 400gr can chopped tomatoes
- 1 400 gr can chickpeas
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp harissa
- 1 lemon
- 150 gr apricots
- 10 gr chopped flat leaf parsley
- Finely chop onion and garlic and add to a pan well coated with oil on a medium heat. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly golden brown (being careful not to burn).
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander to the onion and garlic and stir for 2 mins. Add a splash of water if needed to give a bit of moisture. Now add the butternut squash and stir well, coating in the mixture for a further 2 mins.
- Now add 3 tsp harissa, chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and refill one of the empty cans with water to add to the pan. Stir the mixture well to ensure all the flavours are combined then put on the lid and move to the oven.
- After 30 minutes of cooking remove the pan, add in the apricots, juice from one whole lemon and again stir the mixture well. Add more salt, pepper or harissa if needed and put back in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- 15 minutes before taking out the tagine, cook the rice and chop the parsley then serve tagine on a bed of rice with parsley garnish.