Caribbean-style Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry
Need more inspiration for a plant based curry - then look no further. This easy to cook wholesome dish is great during summer or winter months alike. This veggie recipe is packed with flavour and healthy vegetables.
Difficulty level: 3/5
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Recipe serves: 2 people
- 3 sprigs spring onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- ½ inch piece of ginger(finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper (optional)* - (finely chopped or left whole)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 1 can chickpeas or kidney beans
- 1 large sweet potato - peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 lime
- 1 handful chopped coriander for serving.
*When using Scotch bonnet peppers or any spicy chillies for that matter, cook whole for least amount of spice, chop and remove seeds and pith for medium amount of spice or include all of the chilli chopped finely for maximum amount of spice.
- Heat oil in a pot or heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat and add onion and spring onion. Sautee until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add thyme, garlic, ginger, and scotch bonnet (if using). Sauté until fragrant, about one minute. Finally add turmeric and black pepper. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, and cubed sweet potatoes. Simmer on medium low heat until the sweet potatoes are almost tender. About 15-20 minutes.
- Add in the Jerk seasoning and chickpeas. Simmer until the sweet potatoes are completely cooked and the sauce thickens to your desired consistency. We suggest it should easily coat the back of a spoon.
- Add salt to taste and top with coriander. Serve alongside rice, roti, or Jamaican dumplings.