Sri Lankan carrot curry
In the UK 728 million carrots are thrown away each year, contributing to over £1.2 billion in annual food wastage. We’ve all opened the cupboard to see a pair of lonely carrots and not known what to do with them. 2 in 5 people said the reasons for this were lack of knowledge and recipes. Luckily for us during Sri Lanka we picked up this quick and easy plant based carrot curry recipe which can turn those leftover root vegetables into a healthy and fresh meal in just a few minutes.
- 2 carrots sliced into matchsticks
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Hill & Vale Dahl blend
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 curry leaves, crumbled
- 20 ml coconut milk
- ½ tsp Roasted Sri Lankan Curry powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions and garlic, cook until fragrant and the onions start so soften.
- Add the carrots to the pan, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Drop in the turmeric, dhal blend, curry leaves and salt. Stir to combine until the carrots are well coated.
- Cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the carrots are tender. Add the roasted curry powder and the coconut milk to the carrots then stir for a further minute until well coated.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!