Black Pepper Cooking Ideas
- Black pepper needs little introduction as it is so widely used; season meals to taste with black pepper & salt for a savoury, slightly spicy finish.
- Black pepper tastes best when freshly ground so always try and buy whole.
- Crack fresh black pepper into pasta, stews or soups.
- Season your roasted veg with cracked black pepper, salt and a little olive oil for a rustic classic.
- Use the same mix for a simple marinade.
- For the more adventurous try sprinkling over fruit such as melon or strawberries.
- Moroccan couscous with seasonal spring vegetables
- Kartoffelmad: Danish style open faced potato salad sandwich
- Lentil and Leek Croquetas with fried padron peppers
- Caribbean-style Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry
- Spice flavour profile
Black pepper is a hot spice which brings heat like a chilli would. It's less powerful than cayenne or chilli powder so don't be afraid to use it. Black pepper also has woody and sharp citrus notes, especially when freshly ground.
- Spice Pairings
The classic pairing is salt and pepper! You can add some more variety by mixing peppercorns together; white, pink and green peppercorns all have slightly different flavours and combine together for a more complex and tasty experience. Black pepper goes well with most savoury spices and herbs but especially rosemary, thyme, paprika and garlic.
Click here for black pepper ingredient profile and more flavour information.