Moroccan inspired couscous with seasonal vegetables
This seasonal Moroccan inspired couscous has a secret ingredient! Baharat! A spice blend loved across North Africa and the Middle East. It brings an aromatic hit to these delicious local carrots and purple sprouting broccoli. This delicious recipe is vegan, healthy and easy to put together for a midweek lunch.
Difficulty level: Easy
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Recipe serves: 2 people
- 400 mls hot vegetable stock
- 200g couscous
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ red chilli (deseeded and diced)
- 4-5 pieces of purple sprouting broccoli (cut lengthways)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- handful of raisins
- salt & black pepper
- 1-2 tsp Baharat spice blend
- 90g pine nuts (toasted lightly)
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- Toss the chopped carrots in some olive oil then place in the oven at 190°C for 20 minutes.
- Mix the chilli, garlic, 4 tbsp of olive oil and baharat together in a bowl. Tip in the pine nuts and raisins. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Remove the carrots from the oven, add the broccoli to the tray and toss to coat with the olive oil. Roast for a further 10-15 minutes or until starting to caramelise.
- While the broccoli is roasting, add the vegetable stock to the couscous and mix well. Cover with cling film and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Stir the baharat dressing mix through the couscous, add to a bowl and top with the roasted vegetables. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the top and dig in!