Ancho Chilli Cooking Ideas
- Ancho chillies are Mexico's best loved chilli. They are packed full of fruity, rich flavours and only mildly spicy so you can be quite liberal when using them.
- Add to chilli con carne or spaghetti bolognese for a boost of flavour.
- Stir into chopped tomatoes with some fresh coriander & a squeeze of lime for an authentic salsa.
- Sprinkle over eggs or add to beans.
- Mix 1 tsp of ancho flakes with a little black pepper, salt and 1 tbsp olive oil for a simple marinade.
- Lentil and leek croquetas with fried padron peppers
- Mole quereteano
- Roast Plantain Burrito
- Mole Coloradito
- Spice flavour profile
Ancho chillies are a hot spice. They are mildly spicy, slightly smoky and have a complex fruity sweetness like raisins and caramel.
- Spice Pairings
The complex sweetness of ancho chilli pairs well with rich proteins like black beans. Unsweetened cocoa is also a great combination with ancho and is the basis for Mexico's signature dish - Mole. Earthy spices like cumin and sweet herbs like oregano also make good flavour companions for ancho.
Click here for Ancho chilli ingredient profile and more flavour information.