Thai Red Curry
Thai Red Curry with green beans, aubergine & shitake mushrooms served with jasmine rice
Combining sweet, citrus and spicy flavours the Thai Red Curry epitomises much of what Thai cuisine is all about.
1 aubergine (halved lengthways then into 3cm chunks), 100gr green beans, 120gr shitake mushrooms (roughly chopped), 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk, 1 cup (100 gr) jasmine rice, for garnish 20 gr fresh coriander finely chopped
Thai red paste
4-6 red chilies (deseeded and roughly chopped), 1 onion (roughly chopped), 1 tsp black peppercorns, 2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 10 gr fresh coriander with stalks (roughly chopped), 1 tsp sea salt, zest of 1 lemon, 1 tsp ground galangal (use ginger as a substitute), 1 tsp lemongrass, 4 kaffir lime leaves, 2 cloves garlic (roughly chopped), 1 tsp turmeric, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp olive oil.
- Begin by making the curry paste. Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend together. If the paste seems to dry, add water (teaspoon at a time) until reaching a thick consistency.
- Spoon 2 tbsp coconut milk into a large pan with a fitting lid and stir in the paste. Cook for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Pour in the remainder of the coconut milk and mix together.
- Add the vegetables and stir well. Cover the curry with a lid and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Cook the jasmine rice according to packet instructions.
- Serve the curry with rice and garnish with fresh coriander