Squash, Potato and Carrot stew with Juniper and Sage
As the leaves turn brown and the temperature drops it marks the start of our favourite season, Stew Season! There’s nothing better to keep you warm and well fed this winter than this filling vegetable stew using mushrooms, squash, carrots and potatoes as well as two quintessential British flavours: Juniper and Sage.
Adapted from Nigel Slater's recipe for BBC Goodfood
You will need
Difficulty level: ⅖
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 mins - 1 hour
Recipe serves: 2 people
- Chop the onions into large rough chunks and cook in a pan with a small amount of butter until they begin to soften. Once Onion has softened add 2 teaspoons of Hill & Vale’s Stew spice blend. (If unavailable simply grind together juniper berries, thyme, rosemary and sage in a pestle and mortar)
- Chop the carrot, squash and potato into large chunky pieces. Add to the onion and herb mix.
- Add 4 tablespoons of your preferred red wine to the stew. Add a tablespoon of flour and stir over medium heat until the smell of raw flour has abated and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the vegetable stock and bay leaves. Season well with Black Pepper and salt and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Slice the chestnut mushrooms into quarters or halves and add them to the pot with a handful of the dried mushrooms. Simmer until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with a hunk of sourdough.