Shish spiced cauliflower fritters, butternut squash and aubergine, served with a crunchy fresh salad with lemon juice
We've made a simplified Palestinian recipe of 3 veggie sides that you can eat alone or use together to make a delicious plant based mezze. This is the perfect recipe to help your family branch out into the world of plant based cooking!
- 1 large cauliflower
- 30g parsley
- 2 eggs
- 120g flour
- 6 tsp shish blend
- 30g chopped parsley
- 2- 3 tbs olive oil for frying fritters
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 medium aubergines cut in half
- whole head of garlic
- 75g tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- 1 whole cucumber
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 2 green chilies
- 5 spring onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 30g parsley
- leaves from 5 sprigs of mint.
- Cut butternut squash in half scrape out seeds, chop off top of garlic - season both with salt, pepper and rub over with olive oil. Tightly seal garlic in foil and bake both on a baking tray in a hot oven for 50 minutes. 190degrees.
- Charred aubergines give a lovely smokey flavour to the dish but it ain’t easy to do! Put both aubergines directly onto 2 different gas hobs and cook for 15 mins taking care not to burn. Or if you don’t have a gas hob cook on a hot griddle pan for 40 mins turning every now and then until cooked through.
- Leave to one side to cool down then scrape out the squash & squeeze the inside of garlic into mixing bowl. Roughly chop the aubergines and mint, add to bowl with the lemon juice and tahini and combine everything together.
- Chop tomatoes, cucumber and red pepper into small cubes and place in a bowl. Add finely chopped parsley, mint leaves, spring onions and chillies and then add grated zest and juice of one lemon. Carefully combine all ingredients.
- Cut up cauliflower into florets add to a pan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and save a cup of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile make the fritter batter - sift flour into a mixing bowl and add the shish blend. Whip the eggs and cooled water and add slowly to the flour mixture stirring well to make a smooth batter then carefully spoon in the cauliflower and parsley.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and place rounded spoonful of batter mix into pan and fry for 2-3 mins on each side. You may need to do 2 batches depending on size of the frying pan.