Shish lentil meatballs on carrot spaghetti topped with rocket and feta
Great for a healthy light lunch or dinner, these meat free lentil "meatballs" are a revelation for meat and veggie lovers alike.
Difficulty level: 3/5
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Recipe serves 2 people.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled lentils (cooked in vegetable stock)
- 2 tbsp shish blend
- 2 handfuls rocket salad
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 carrots
- salt + pepper to taste
- (1 tbsp balsamic + 3 tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp mustard dressing optional)
- Cook lentils in pan according to packet instructions (10-15mins). While lentils are cooking, finely chop onion and garlic before adding to a separate pan with oil on a medium heat. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly golden brown (being careful not to burn), then remove from heat and turn off stove top.
- Add the following ingredients to a food processor; cooked & cooled lentils, 1 tsp olive oil, sautéed garlic and onion, shish blend, tomato paste, pinch of salt and black pepper. Pulse, mixing until combined, but not puréed, leaving a little texture.
- The texture should be dough-like. If the mixture is still too wet, add flour or breadcrumbs to stiffen up the mixture. Make into small balls, place on baking tray and put in oven for 20-25 mins turning occasionally.
- Ribbon carrots with a vegetable peeler and boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mix rocket leaves with carrot pasta, add lentil meatballs and crumble feta cheese on top.
- Mix olive oil, balsamic and mustard in a cup until well combined then pour onto plate.