Mexican Mushrooms with Green Rice
This quick and easy mushroom dish is great as a stand alone meal or can also be used as a healthy filling for a taco or equally as a side. The green rice is great, well just because its green rice!
Difficulty level: 1/5
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Recipe serves: 2 people
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 tsp adobo (all purpose Mexican) seasoning
- 150 gr shitake mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 150 gr chestnut mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 4 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1/2 onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 green chilli (deseeded and roughly chopped)
- 15 gr fresh parsley
- 30 gr fresh coriander leaf (half for green rice, half for garnish)
- 1 cup long grain white rice, salt to taste.
- Finely chop 1/2 onion, 1 clove of garlic and add to pan with olive oil on medium heat. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly golden brown (being careful not to burn). Next add in 3 tsp adobo seasoning and a splash of water, mixing well to combine for 1 minute.
- Now add in both the shitake and chestnut mushrooms and mix well with the other ingredients. Continue to cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes until the mushrooms re soft and have wilted.
- Finally, mix in the chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Once the tomatoes have softened as well, turn off the heat and set to one side.
- For the rice, add the chopped onion, garlic, chilli, parsley & coriander leaf to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add oil then rice to a pan on low heat and stir for one minute. Now add the herb mixture from the food processor to the pan and stir for a further minute. Once well combined, add a good pinch of salt and pour in enough water to cover the rice by an inch and turn up the heat to medium until boiling. Now cover and reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all water has evaporated.
- A few minutes before the rice is ready, heat up the mushroom mix and serve alongside rice with coriander leaf garnish.