Huevos Rancheros (Mexican Eggs)
Really easy vegetarian alternative to your regular weekend breakfast / brunch. Many of the same components (eggs, beans, tomatoes), but just cooked Mexican style.
Difficulty level: 1/5
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Recipe serves: 2 people
- Olive oil (4tbsp)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 small chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 can/carton black beans
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli flakes,
- 4 eggs
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 handful fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 2 tsp guajillo chilli flakes.
- Finely chop 1 onion, 1 deseeded green chilli and cook in pan on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add in chopped tomatoes and immediately turn down to the lowest heat an continue to stir occasionally.
- Pour 1 can/carton black beans into a separate pan, add in 1tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp chipotle chilli flakes and cook on a medium heat stirring occasionally to make sure beans do not stick to the bottom of pan.
- Add tortillas to a hot frying pan and cook on both sides for 2 mins until slightly crispy. Remove from pan and set to one side.
- Fry 4 eggs in pan on a medium heat until whites are well cooked but yoke remains soft. While eggs are cooking roughly chop 1 avocado, 1 handful fresh coriander.
- Place eggs on top of tortillas, with avocado, salsa and refried beans along side. Sprinkle coriander and guajillo chilli flakes and a squeeze of fresh lime all over.