Roasted winter vegetables, with chickpea, halloumi & herby rice
To kick off our month celebrating British cooking we decided to make a quick and easy plant based recipe highlighting some of the delicious winter vegetables which have come into season. Cooking with locally grown seasonal vegetables is a great way to both vary your diet and do your bit for the planet. This simple but filling dish is great for an easy dinner or as leftovers for lunch.
Inspired by Jemma Morphet’s recipe for BBC goodfood.
- 1 red onions- cut into 8ths
- 2 beetroot- cut into 2-3cm wedges
- 2 leeks- sliced into 2cm chunks
- 5-6 new potatoes- halved
- 200g brown basmati rice
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley
- 85g cashew nuts
- 1 clove of garlic- minced
- 200g halloumi- cut into cubes
- 400g can of Chickpeas- drained
- Roasted vegetable Blend
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Blender/food processor (for pesto)
- Roasting tray
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°
- Mix 2 tbsp of oil with a teaspoon of our Roasted Vegetable spice blend (if unavailable season with rosemary, salt and pepper). Put sliced vegetables into a roasting pan and add the herb oil mixture. Toss the vegetables in the oil until well coated.
- Ensure vegetables are laid out in one layer for even browning, you may need additional trays.
- Roast vegetables for 25 minutes or until they start to turn a golden brown colour.
- Whilst the vegetables are roasting, cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet.
- Combine the cashews, parsley, garlic and remaining oil in a food processor or blender. Season well and pulse until a paste has formed.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and mix the halloumi and chickpeas through the roasted vegetables. Return the tray to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes
- Stir the pesto mixture into the rice until well distributed.
- Serve the vegetables atop the rice and enjoy!