Aubergine, halloumi & sweet pepper shish kebab
Quick and easy vegetarian kebab either cooked on the grill or barbecue seasoned with a Shish spice blend and accompanied by za'atar flatbreads and harissa yoghurt. Ideal for a veggie barbecue!
- 1 x large aubergine
- 2 x sweet peppers (we used 1 green & 1 red in this recipe)
- 1 x 225 gr pack halloumi
- 6 tsp shish blend
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200 gr plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 110 ml water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp za'atar blend
- 100 gr yoghurt
- 1 sprig of fresh mint
- 1 tsp harissa blend
- Begin by making the dough for the flatbreads so you can set them aside for 30 mins while you do everything else. Mix flour, water & salt in a mixing bowl and knead the dough for 10 mins. Leave the dough in the mixing bowl and cover with a damp cloth and put to one side.
- Chop the aubergine, sweet peppers & halloumi into 2cm chunks and place in a mixing bowl. Make the marinade - mix 6 tsp Shish blend, 1 tbsp tomato puree & 4 tbsp olive oil - stir into a paste and add a little water to get the right consistency to be able to coat the chunks - take care when coating the halloumi so it doesn't break. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the harissa yoghurt and switch on the grill or bbq.
- Prepare the harissa yoghurt. This takes 2 mins; spoon 100ml yoghurt into a small bowl or ramekin and stir in1 tsp of harissa blend with the chopped mint.
- Thread the marinated vegetables and cheese on to skewers and place on the bbq or under the grill. Cook on a low heat for 10 mins with the grill or bbq closed. Open and increase the heat for a further 3-4 mins on each side.
- To cook the flatbreads break the dough into small plum sized pieces and sprinkle flour on to your work surface. Roll out the small dough balls into thin circular flat breads. Heat the frying pan on a medium to high heat and cook each of the flat breads one by one. There is no need to use olive oil in the pan when cooking the flat breads.
- Pull the halloumi and vegetables off the skewers with a fork on to plates ready for serving and drizzle with harissa yoghurt. Add olive oil to the flatbreads and sprinkle za'atar to taste.