Apple and Blackberry Pie
If it were possible to condense the British countryside into a dessert that dish might just be Apple and Blackberry pie. Two fruits which grow in every nook and cranny of the British Isles, Blackberries especially are a treat for all foragers. This recipes uses vegan pastry, sweet and seasonal Braeburn apples, delicious tart blackberries and a generous array of delicious warming spices help to make this a delightful autumnal treat for the whole family. We encourage you to try all different manners of apples depending on what is available.
- 6 Braeburn apples
- 300g Blackberries
- 120g Golden caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 50g of soft brown sugar
- 50g Flour
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
- 2 sheets of pre rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 Egg for the glaze
- Half an orange zested and juiced
- 20cm pie dish
- Pastry brush
- Remove pastry from fridge to allow it to soften for easier handling
- Preheat oven to 190°/ 170°C fan
- Peel and core the apples before slicing into bite sized even chunks, pat dry with paper towels and place into a large mixing bowl with the blackberries, orange zest and orange juice
- Combine the Golden caster sugar. Soft brown sugar, flour and mixed spice in a bowl until evenly blended.
- Pour Sugar/flour mixture over the apples and mix until thoroughly coated.
- Use one sheet of pastry to line a 23cm pie dish, leave overhanging pastry for later crimping, making sure to leave no air bubbles underneath the base
- To make the latticed lid cut the remaining sheet of pastry into 2cm wide strips long enough to reach across the pie. First lay the strips out vertically along the pie, leaving a gap of roughly 2cm between them, the number required may vary for us it was 4 strips each way. Fold back every other strip so it is no longer covering the filling and is hanging off the pie. Place a single horizontal strip over the remaining vertical strips, then fold the other strips back over it. Now fold the strips which have been covered back over the horizontal strip and place the next horizontal strip. Repeat this process and you should start to see the lattice forming. Once you have finished weaving the lattice, trim any excess from the strips and use the overhang from the base to crimp and seal the edges of the pie, brushing the edges with water will help it to adhere. Use any excess pastry to make decorations. Here is a helpful video if you are struggling to visualise the process.
- For a simpler crust simply lay out the pastry over the topping and cut to size, ensuring to cut several air vents in the lid to prevent it bursting.
- Whisk egg and brush over the pastry, sprinkle caster sugar over the pie and place in the oven for 45 minutes or until the pastry has turned golden brown and the apples are cooked.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Decorate with remaining blackberries and orange peel
- Serve warm with ice cream