Vanilla Cooking Ideas
- To use vanilla, either add whole pod while cooking and allow flavours to diffuse. You can re-use your vanilla pods if you use them whole.
- Alternatively, cut pod lengthways with a sharp knife and remove seeds from the inside. Then add seeds to dish you are preparing.
- Vanilla is increasingly used both for sweet and savoury foods.
- Add vanilla seeds to roasted vegetables to enhance sweetness.
- Mix seeds from vanilla pod with sugar before adding to dessert. This works great with many sweet desserts; pancake batters, cream puddings, or cakes mixtures.
- Add whole vanilla pods to a neutral alcohol like vodka to make vanilla extract.
- Add whole vanilla pods to rich hearty stews to allow flavours to diffuse while cooking.
- Homemade vanilla ice cream
- Vanilla cake
- Vanilla custard
- World's best tomato sauce (with vanilla!)
- Vanilla seasoned fresh vegetable soup
- Spice flavour profile
Vanilla is a sweet spice that is made up of an amazing variety of flavour compounds. It is creamy, warming, fruity & slightly woody.
- Spice Pairings
Vanilla works well with other sweet, warming spices like cinnamon & ginger. The woody warming flavours go well with allspice and cacao.
Click here for turmeric ingredient profile and more flavour information.