Nigella Seed Cooking Tips
For nigella seed re-fills click here
- If making homemade flat breads, sprinkle a few teaspoons into your mix while kneading the dough.
- Sprinkle over eggs or stir into omelette mixture before frying.
- Add to a whipped feta and yoghurt dip with a squeeze of lemon.
- Sprinkle on to cooked beans or pulses with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Use in the Panch Phoran spice mix.
- Boil then fry potatoes in small pieces & add nigella seeds to pan for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Stir into dhal before serving.
- Add to vegetarian curry made with aubergine or squash.
- Sprinkle into homemade coleslaw to give colour and added crunch
- Homemade flatbreads
- Indian-style beans with egg & potato wedges
- Panch phoran (Indian Five Spice)
- Spice Flavour Profile
Nigella seeds are a bitter spice but are not overly bitter. They share similar flavour compound to oregano so also have a herb-like flavour to them. They have a warm toasty flavour so similar in some ways to sesame as well.
- Spice Pairings
The Panch Phoran mix gives a good indication for some of the spices nigella seeds pair well with; cumin, fenugreek, mustard, fennel. Caraway & citrus fruit peels also work well with nigella seeds as the fruity flavours compliment each other.