Green Cardamom Cooking Ideas
- Green cardamom has a strong flavour so a little goes a long way.
- Use in homemade curries to balance spiciness of fresh chillies.
- Gently crush pods and add to hot drinks like tea, coffee & mulled wine. Be sure to strain or use in muslin bag if you don't want bits in the bottom.
- Grind pods to a fine powder and stir through baking mixture before putting in the oven.
- Cardamom Cookies
- Banana, coconut & cardamom bread
- Lentil and cardamom soup
- Squash, Chickpea and coconut curry
- Spice flavour profile
Green cardamom is a warm spice meaning it is between spicy and sweet. It has a strong, complex flavour that is floral & a little spicy while also being citrussy and a bit sweet.
- Food pairings
Cardamom goes well with fruits like apples, pears and even citrus like oranges. It's natural sweetness helps elevate starchy veg like potatoes. Yoghurt acts as a good medium for the flavour to diffuse through.
- Spice Pairings
Cardamom is a common component in curry powders alongside turmeric, cumin, coriander, chilli powder and the closely related black cardamom. It also pairs well with strong flavours like juniper & caraway.
Click here for green cardamom ingredient profile and more flavour information.