Clove Cooking Ideas
- Cloves are one of the most powerful spices so one or two might be all you need.
- Cloves can bring an intense warmth and complex flavour to pastries and baked goods like pumpkin pie.
- Use in festive mulled wine or cider.
- Mix with other spices in rubs, marinades or curry blends to soften the flavour.
- Cloves are common in Indian cooking, drop a clove or two into a curry or rice dish. Make sure to remove them after cooking as they're quite hard and woody.
- Clove sugar cookies
- Gingerbread hot chocolate
- Sugar and spice roasted squash
- Sri Lankan runner bean curry
- Spice Flavour Profile
- Spice Pairings
Cloves pair well with the similar warming spices allspice and nutmeg, also going well with the sweeter cinnamon, cardamom and star anise. These flavours combine to make a "festive" winter tasting blend. Cloves are a component of the Indian all purpose blend garam masala with as many as 20 other spices.