Chipotle Chile Cooking Ideas
- Chipotle chillies are smoked and dried ripe jalapeno peppers, they aren't too spicy but can have a bit of a kick.
- Spiciness can vary from batch to batch, even of the same chili. Try a little before cooking to see how spicy it is.
- Being of Mexican origin, sprinkle and fry with taco filling, stir into black beans or add a few flakes to guacamole.
- Add to a vegetarian chilli to bring a smoky flavour.
- Mix a teaspoon of ground chipotle with mayonnaise, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lime juice for a tasty spicy dipping sauce.
- Chipotle chillies make a great marinade with a little olive oil, some black pepper, salt and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Chipotle chickpeas with aubergine & pitta
- Chipotle gazpacho
- Spicy chipotle vegetarian three bean chilli
- Spice flavour profile
Chipotle chillies are a hot spice and are in the capsicum family with other chillies. Chipotles are of a mild to medium heat like the Jalapenos they are made from. They have a strong smoky flavour and notes of sweetness beneath.
- Spice Pairings
Chipotle goes well with other chillies like guajillo and ancho, giving a more complex flavour. Like with other chillies, chipotle combines well with the warmth and earthiness of cumin. You'll often find chipotle in BBQ rubs and Tex-Mex blends alongside spices like paprika, coriander, black pepper, garlic and onion.
Click here for chipotle ingredient profile and more flavour information.