Allspice Cooking Tips
For allspice re-fills click here
- Allspice is a flavour that is worth getting to know a bit better. The fact it is called allspice says a lot about is usefulness in cooking.
- Like with other warm spices it works in both sweet and savoury dishes.
- Use if cooking Jamaican food. It is a key ingredient in jerk seasoning as well as in rice and peas.
- Grind and stir into sauces or curries with sweet vegetables like sweet potato, beetroot or butternut squash.
- Also an important ingredient in mixed spice, an all purpose spice blend for baking.
- During the winter months, allspice is a great addition to any mulled wine or cider preparation.
- Allspice also features in Mexican & Middle Eastern cuisine. It is an important ingredient in the Baharat blend.
Recipe ideas using allspice (pimento)
- Warm Greens & Shallots with allspice dressing
- Sweet potato & black bean curry
- Mole Coloradito
- Smoky mac 'n cheese
Allspice flavour pairings
- Spice Flavour Profile
- Spice Pairings
Perhaps unsurprisingly allspice pairs well with the flavours to which it shares a similar taste. Other spices it works well with are bay, thyme & cardamom.